Followers

Sunday 9 February 2014

Banshee Party on the Roof

Oh What a Night, never mind late September back in '63, it was. The Banshee's took over the rooftops and had a wail of a time, howling and screaming the night away. They made so much noise that I could not hear the Telly, well not without risking my eardrums.
I cut some fabric and went to bed, luckily I dropped off to sleep quickly and had a wonderful 90 minutes or so. Then the party kicked off again, after tossing and turning for an hour I surrendered and got up. I moped around with a cup of mint tea for a little while, feeling bad done by and persecuted, then my brain started to work and I started sewing.




A good stack of 9 patch blocks waiting to be trimmed.


The trimming has begun, tedious work so I decided to have a few intermissions and make these.


Some more tissue holders for the CS, I will be filling these with tissues, they are 99p for a sleeve of 10 small packets. As it is nearly Valentine's day I found some pink out and will make a dozen or so.


Some 2 1/2" by 5" strips that will become 4 patch blocks.



The first step is to sew into pairs.



My first 2 squares, the first one should have a round of white but I changed it to yellow as these will be part of a small cushion to bring a splash of sun into a dark corner.

I realised that the cap fits and therefore I should wear it, the Dunces cap that is. For ages now I have been following Bunny Mummy, reading about her family life, her running and her craft, especially her beautiful Crochet and the Tutorials that she writes!!!
I was reading her latest post yesterday evening and there they were in the sidebar, all these pretty things and links to the tutorials. Now over the months I have been reading these and thinking "one day I will try this" that day has come. She even suggests wool for all budgets and I knew this. Hangs head in shame, takes a sip of mint tea, yes even my cast iron tummy succumbed to the Banshee wailing and I have a touch of heartburn. Goes nicely with the heartache of knowing that I could have started crochet months ago with all the help that I could want sitting in my blog list.

Reasons to be grateful. 

1. A productive night, lots of scrap sorting done.

2. My next project has a massive head start.

3. My bedroom had a birthday in the wee small hours, all that is left to do is vacuum.

4. The day has dawned bright and dry.

5. The Banshees are resting.

I usually change my bed and "do" the room on Monday, but as I had twisted the sheet and duvet cover into a corkscrew, I did it when all hope of sleep had fled. The linen is now whirring round in the machine. The heavens opened at around 3.30 am and it lashed against the house for a good hour and then dried up. It is dry now and fairly bright.
There were some dustbin lids rattling down the street earlier, mine are turned upside down on the bins with a couple of house bricks in them. I would not be surprised to see a few of the older trees down and possibly a scattering of roof tiles. It is 09.57 and I have Ben to walk .

TTFN                       Pam


Just popped back to say sorry for the abrupt cut off, my Ben is a stickler for time and at 10.00 every morning he goes out for a run with Greg his BFF. If I am too slow he barks and runs round in circles, leaps up and down and generally behaves like an idiot, trying to get his lead on becomes a 3 part farce. We have a run in the afternoon but he is relaxed about the time then.















13 comments:

  1. Banshees? I don't understand?

    However I am very impressed with lovely neat workmanship;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fictitious ghosts that scream is the best way to describe them,

      Delete
    2. I get it now...I think I have one living up my chimney;-)

      Delete
  2. Never had Banshees. Peacocks one place I lived years ago - they don't scream - just scuttle back and forth on the roof calling 'help' help' help'. They sound so human the first couple of nights we actually went out with lights to see if someone was in trouble! Oh and they perch on the fence rails and gate posts and leave a horrible stinking mess. We hosed off the sidewalks every day of the year. Didn't live there long thank goodness!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. many years ago peacocks used to fly over from a neighbouring farm an screech at us, they came close to being cooked.

      Delete
  3. My goodness, you have been busy! Love the crochet.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to be busy, the crochet is very new to me I hope to master it fairly quickly.

      Delete
  4. At least you were able to be productive whilst you were up and awake. The wind kept us awake here from 3am. I usually read blogs if I'm awake in the small hours, reading makes me tired and I'm able to nod back off. Hope you get a better night tonight x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was either sew or clean, no contest.

      Delete
  5. Gosh I know what you mean ... so awfully noisy ... quite scary.
    Just love the pink tissue holders .. what a lovely gift they would make.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The women at the CS were pleased with them and sold 2 while I was in there.

      Delete
  6. No banshees here, just endless drumming rain. Have learnt to crochet myself this week :-) at Craft Club, lovely to learn a new skill!
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are no craft clubs around here which is a shame. There is a craft group that meets in the local Library but patchwork takes so much room, and I could not have my sewing machine. I asked. Yes it is good to learn, I may have to try cross stitch if and when i master crochet.

      Delete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.