Followers

Tuesday 25 November 2014

Where did my day go.

I spent all yesterday quite convinced that it was Sunday, right up till around 9. 00 last night when the penny dropped. Somewhere over the last 3 days I managed to lose 1, if you see it about do send it back.

I have beavered away at the sewing, that sounds wrong, it is not work it is play and fun to boot.

I did get laundry and bed changing done but the vacuum stayed in the cupboard, there is another day tomorrow not even touched yet.

I found a small pile of 5" charm squares and some coordinating jelly roll strips, so after a bit of thinking I made these.

 
 

 
 
The bottom right bag has a shaped bottom, I followed a method by Debbie Shaw. I found it fiddly and did not really like the end result. I prefer boxed corners, I will make some larger bags another day and box them, ideal for larger gifts.
 
 
I found some small orphan blocks from last year, I was trying out an idea for tree blocks. I did make them in the end but on a white background, there were 6 so I turned them into 3 small drawstring bags.
 


 
 

 
I used 10" layer cake squares so the fabrics are reversed on either side.  I bought most of this at less than half price at a closing down sale and the rest was a giveaway.
 
 
The of course just as I sat down to write this Ben came in, I was in His place so he threw himself on the other sofa and sighed deeply.
 


 
 
He is so hard done by. Just look at that face.
 
I must fly, the oven is on and the timer just pinged.
 
 TTFN                                                                     Pam

16 comments:

  1. You do make some lovely things, I must try harder next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tut tut, resolutions are for Dec 31 and to be abandoned by Jan 02. Just go with the flow and enjoy.

      Delete
    2. Hi Pam I just read your comment about the christmas gift swap, I don't understand how that works, but if you were to set up a group, I would love to join in.

      Delete
  2. It looks like you had a productive day, love the shot of Ben.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame my Granny, "The devil makes work for idle hands" was one of her favourite sayings, I do not remember her ever sitting with empty hands, apart from Sunday afternoon to watch the Billy Cotton Band Show and later on the Palladium. Ben is a treasure but very set in his ways.

      Delete
  3. What gorgeous colours, forgeet the housework that will keep. Ben looks so cute.
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like colour in my life, no body ever reported a housework robbery did they.

      Delete
  4. Ben really does look miffed, bless him. You have some stunning makes again, Pam, but some of the terms are foreign to me: jelly roll....layer cake squares etc. I have a lot to learn :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first quilting blogs that I found were American and so I picked up the terminology. Jelly Rolls are 2 1/2" wide strips, usually of a complete collection cut across the width of fabric and come rolled up like a Swiss roll. Layer cakes are 10" squares, again of a whole collection usually 42 squares or strips. It is not a cheap way to buy unless you only want that amount then there is no wastage or scraps to worry about. There is always something new to learn, that is part of the fun.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the explanation, Pam. At least now I'll know what people are talking about :-)

      Delete
  5. I love jelly rolls and layer cakes! We do lots of classes with them as they save lots of time cutting. And you're right - lots less scraps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy ready cuts and yardage and lucky me, my LQS cut their own charms and layer cakes and cut to order. How cool is that. Mind you I still love my scraps.

      Delete
  6. Love your Christmas bags, I too had heard of jelly rolls and layer cakes but didn't know what they were! So thanks. Ben does look a bit long suffering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Ben! He is part Spaniel and can turn on "the look" at will.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous makes Pam, i love the bright Christmassy colours.

    I think I'm addicted to Missouri Quilt Company on utube lol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love colour, Jenny does put out some good tutorials, she comes over as so natural. I have noticed that she now has a French manicure though. Have you tried Debbie Shore for tutorials.

      Delete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.