Followers

Wednesday 17 February 2016

A Right Dog's Dinner

My word, what a change in the weather, it was hammering down when I woke at 6:00 and carried on for the next 4 hours. The water was bubbling up between the kerb stones and the pavement for most of this time.
Then the rain ceased to a drizzle and that gave up and went home by 1:00. Ben wanted a walk so off we went, on the way we gathered up Archie, Dolly and their owner. It made a nice change to walk with company, although I had to slow down considerably. Ben did not mind, he had more time to sniff around.

I have made a decent start on stitching the granny squares together.


Rows 1 - 4, all ends darned in.


Row 5 and 6, joined but waiting for darning. once done they will be sewn to the other block.



You can buy little packs of numbers and letters to mark rows and columns, I am far too tight fisted for that. Bits of paper, a marker pen and my quilt clips do the same job.


I picked up some Lamb mince half price and cooked a batch for Ben. 8oo gm meat, 2 carrots and 1/3rd cup of uncooked rice.
Dice the carrots, into a pan with the mince and brown gently. Throw in the rice and stir up, add enough stock to cover then bring to boil and simmer 35 minutes. I check a couple of times that there is enough liquid.


The pot goes in a sink of cold water, I stir the contents a few times and change the water. This brings the temperature down fast, then into small tubs and into fridge. Once chilled I put some in the freezer. Tomorrow I will cook a fish batch, I will add the fish 5 minutes before the rice is cooked and then cool as usual.

This means that Ben has a change every 2 or 3 days, he does not get bored and he has a range of nutrients. I plan on keeping him wheat free and will be experimenting with some gram flour to make dog biscuits.

The cost varies, I do pounce on bargains which helps keep it down.
He likes the Lily's tinned food but does eat the home made with more relish and hovers round my feet while I am cooking.

Now for a complete change, has anyone seen The Real Marigold Hotel. I watched it and apart from wanting to shake Jan Leeming and slap Rosemary Shrager I enjoyed it. I thought that Patti Boulaye should have scaffolding to support her false eyelashes.

I can see the attraction, low rent, low cost of living and glorious heat. But, no garden to speak of, the traffic smell and unceasing noise would get to me.

I hope that they do a follow up series, but would have preferred to see it without celebrities.
I am also watching The Great British Benefits Handout program, I am not holding my breath that they will all succeed. One couple in particular have gone into shock over the actual cost of Council Tax. Mind you they had no qualms about buying a PlayStation 4 for their unemployed son.

I am also watching Michael Portillo on his train journey in the US, it is just as interesting as his UK journey.

Now I am off to drink my tea before I pick my crochet up.

               TTFN                                               Pam

7 comments:

  1. Hello Pam
    I thoroughly adored the Real Marigold Hotel when I saw the dvd mainly because it starred Maggie Smith. She is a fabulous actress!!! I have also seen the second film so you have that to look forward to.

    keep well

    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The real Marigold Hotel is a 3 part documentary, it follows a group of celebratory senior citizens who go to India for a month to emulate the film. It is very interesting. I have seen both films and thoroughly enjoyed them.

      Delete
  2. Just a word of caution Pam, though I am sure you looked into it. Are the stock cubes OK to use for Ben re the salt content of them? I know you can buy low salt ones . The blanket is coming on nicely. I watched the first of that Marigold set and found myself feeling ashamed of all that we have when you saw how little the tour guides family had, yet they offered it all up to their guests. Miriam Margoleyes is a SCREAM! Might look for the other two on the I player tomorrow X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make my own stock Rachel, even the low salt version have too much salt for me let alone Ben. Do watch the other 2 episodes, they are very illuminating. I was tempted myself for a little while.

      Delete
    2. I knew, even as I was writing it you'd be sorted stock wise!! I've got them on my planner! We will watch them tonight- even the HG was a bit enamoured

      Delete
  3. I would use scraps of paper as well, it's to tight, just saving our money for better things. Ben is a lucky dog, I would eat his dinners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched the real marigold hotel programme and was surprised about how open they all were about their relationships and health and so on. It isn't a life for me, but I found it very interesting to see. xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.