Followers

Monday 15 February 2016

Ouchhhhh, that hurts

Two glorious days, in the garden, walking hard, cleaning, ironing and......aches and pains. Perhaps removing a shed and laying 3 courses of bricks was not such a good way to spend a Sunday morning, even with lots of muscle to help. Mind you a bargainicious trip to Mr T softened the pain, and picking up a tenner as it blew past my feet was as good as a massage.
Result, a fridge full of veg, fruit and meat for Ben, some essentials stocked up and a spend of £4:32 .
Ben now has a weeks worth of cooked meat, veg and rice mix tucked away in fridge and freezer for about the price of a tin of Lily's premium dog food. 
I started him on that to help with his skin condition but at £2.20 a tin it was a big outlay. I used to cook all the food for my Spaniels so decided a week or so ago to start for Ben. His coat and skin are showing a good improvement and his energy is amazing ( perhaps I should eat it ) He walks 3 miles with no effort and is still bouncing when we get home.
Not a lot on the craft front to report, I have dug out my small solid granny squares. I laid them out and although I had enough I wanted a few lighter colours. I chose 5 balls of yarn and have made 6 squares from each, I will rearrange later today and start joining them this evening. Photos will follow.
I have a new garden shed coming today or tomorrow and this weeks priority is to get it assembled and sited. I want to move a large plastic storage box this morning and then finish levelling the site.
My seed potatoes need chitting and the seed propagators are dotted round various windowsills.
I must give the greenhouse a wash and a quick spray to kill any nasties.
A sprinkle of slug pellets on the raised beds, before they are covered with fleece to warm the soil, just to give my new plants the best possible chance.
I love the prospect of pottering about outside and as it seems that the Goddess of Spring has decided to wake up after all I want to be prepared. I was that Brownie and Guide.

Ben is making "time for a walk" noises so,

          TTFN                                                           Pam

22 comments:

  1. I think I might need some of your dog food too lol
    It's sunny here and I'm off out armed with my slug pellets! First a brew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to buy more slug pellets, hate those slimy little critters.

      Delete
  2. I've never thought to cook Rockys dog food, he seems fine on what we give him which was a huge improvement to what he was on before we inherited him. Sun is out here but I'm hoping it will be too at the weekend. Some of it is planned for garden day! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another good day today, I hope it lasts the week.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good weekend to me! You get so much done! You must be excited about the new garden shed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It arrived today, just waiting for the solid base to arrive.

      Delete
  4. A lucky catch at Tesco, it's not often that tenners are dashing past in the breeze :-)

    I should get back to making our own dog food, I think they are a bit fed up with their dry food at the minute, and homemade is so cheap and easy to do and they wolf it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben is not a fussy eater but has no tolerance to additives, they cause lots of skin reactions.

      Delete
  5. My hubby could definitely do with some if your doggy food, I dragged him out for a 4 mile walk thus mirng and he's not stopped grumbling about his achy knees since we got home!

    That was a lucky strike at Tescos, well done! Could do with tenners blowing in the wind here :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could do with it a few times a week myself.

      Delete
  6. I'll be glad when I can potter in the garden again but I'm not walking on the lawn at the minute...it's still very boggy. I'll wait until it dries a bit more-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My lawn is a frozen bit of tundra. Later this year it will become a beautiful gravelled area with raised beds.

      Delete
  7. I feed my dog raw meat mixed with steamed mixed veg peelings he has a upset tum if he is given commercial food. he is very active living in rural derbyshire we have lots of long walks. Am looking forward to gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben wolfs raw meat down far too fast and then suffers the consequences, and so do I.

      Delete
  8. My goodness you have been busy! I should think you are exhausted after all of that. Hope that the shed putting up goes well! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sunshine has given me an energy surge.

      Delete
  9. Could you please share your dog food recipe? I have a very fussy older border collie and would like to make him food. He won't eat raw meat anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cooked 1 kg fine diced meat with 2 large carrots 1 turnip and 1/2 cup of brown rice in home made stock (no onions or garlic) for around 35 minutes.

      Delete
  10. Really interested in Ben's food because as you know we are going through skin problems with Ted and I have him on Lily's which is lovely but as you say expensive. My next step is to cook for both T and P so your recipe for Ben is really interesting. Great to hear you've noted improvements with it too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do vary the meat every few days, Ben prefers Lamb. I also use fish, a mixture of oily fish and river cobbler. The fat is good for skin and coat condition. I make it in batches and freeze in daily sized containers.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like you are really settling into that house, Pam! You won't want to move now you have done so much in the garden! Hope the gardening aches and pains have got better. Lxxx

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.