Followers

Sunday 12 March 2017

1 down, 2 to go.

WIPs that is, the crescent shawl is finished, blocked and ready to wear. I did not enjoy this project, endless garter stitch was just too bland. I hesitate to say boring as the colour changes kept it out of that category, but halfway through it made my toes curl to even think about another seemingly endless row.



Blocking on a yoga mat and towels on the bathroom floor, too long to get it all in shot.


On my ever ready model, this is the perfect size for Fran.




It has a wingspan of 64" and is 14" deep at the middle. I was going to put a lace border on but it would have been too deep then for Francesca, she does not have a long neck.

The other 2 are sweaters, a lace patterned v neck in  gold Stylecraft special dk and my "Weasley" in bronze/copper Marble Glamour chunky.

The first pair of dk boot socks are done and delivered, I still have Fran,s second Unicorn sock to cast on. 

 High on my "to do" list is the Debut shawl by Katiuscia Baystak, a free pattern on Ravelry, to knit for myself in both dk and 4 ply. It is an asymmetrical shawl in 3 colours knitted from side to side,so no loooong rows. The pattern is for worstead weight but I will figure out needle size and stitch count for the different yarns.

Yesterday was a mixed bag for weather, sunny to start the day off, turning overcast and then fine rain later. This morning is greyish but dry and although not as warm as yesterday it is not cold, no heating on here.

Dinner last night was based around  jacket potatoes, I part cooked them in the ding oven then finished off in the big oven with a tray of cherry tomatoes, a bargain 30p from M&S in Neath,and another of mushrooms bought for pennies a few weeks ago and sliced and frozen. Doused in olive oil and fig balsamic with salt and pepper before cooking they were a feast tipped over a baked Nadine potato.
Did I mention the steak unearthed from the bowels of the freezer? No, that is because it was almost a garnish to the veggies and really only cooked as it had been lurking for far too long.
There should have been left overs but we were hungry and they were lush.
Today I am doing stir fry with Edamame beans, this seems to have become my Go To meal for Sunday. It is simple and quick to cook, minimal washing up and doesn't leave me feeling stuffed to bursting point. It also has the bonus of using up lots of veg from the week before, no soft bits of peppers and celery in my salad drawer.

I need to make time this week to go through my plant pots and seed trays, there are far too many and they are taking over. I have thinned the planters out and there will be a stack of those going as well.
I am doing the same declutter in the garden as the house and even at this early stage it feels good.
A small pile of things for the CS is gathering in the dining room and I hope to add to that before it goes. I am getting into the "less is more" frame of mind comfortably, ( Just don't mention Yarn).


It is time for me to get off my btm and do something constructive, I have a stack of magazines to go through and decide whether to keep or take to knit and natter, and a shelf of books that needs sorting as well.

                      TTFN                                                Pam






12 comments:

  1. Give yourself a pat on the back, the colours are stunning, and it looks lovely. I always hate the finishing off from knitting, so I don't knit as much as I would like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to hate the sewing up but now I just put some music on and stitch away. I love the colours but was surprised when Francesca chose them, they are not her usual palette.

      Delete
  2. Oh Pam....the shawl looks gorgeous.
    How different it looks once draped around the mannequin.
    The jacket potatoes sound amazing. I've not tried fig balsamic so may have to remedy that-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I cast off the last stitch I was not sure about the finished size but a bit of blocking solved that. I use lots of balsamic but fig is my favourite.

      Delete
  3. It may have been boring to make but it turned out gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the long rows that had my toes curling, in the end I picked it up one evening and decided that it would be a 2 movie and knit night. That got it finished with no bother.

      Delete
  4. The shawl's fabulous, such gorgeous colours. I actually enjoy a bit of mindless garter stitch, especially when I'm watching TV and I don't want to have to concentrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer socks for TV knitting but this needed to be off the needles. My next shawl will be end to end, with no long rows.

      Delete
  5. Pam, that shawl is beautiful! I'm sure Fran will love it! I'm looking forward to seeing the shawl you are planning to make for yourself - it sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Francesca picked the yarn but not the pattern, my shawl will be cast on sometime this week.

      Delete
  6. I really liked this beautiful shawl!!! You chose a very nice colors. Great job:)
    Jessi

    ReplyDelete
  7. The shawl is lovely. Was wondering about the pattern
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.