Followers

Tuesday 27 June 2017

Keeping up Appearances

No buckets or bouquets here though.

Now that I have settled in to my eating plan I want to see some other issues resolved. 10 of them to be exact.
I have whinged about my shocking nails on several occasions. I have tried sweet almond oil, nail treatments that cost £!**! and cheap and cheerful stuff from Poundland.
None of it has worked, probably definitely because I just let it slide after the first few days and then 3 weeks later have another whine about the state of them.

I have resurrected this desire for neat nails and made it number 2 on my list of priorities, number 1 will be my eating plan.
I have unearthed a bottle of clear nail treatment and cleaned up the ragged edges, as best I could,without chopping the ends of my fingers off.




Left hand.



Right hand.

Not the best of photos, but you can see the state of them. I will be applying this stuff daily for 7 days and then cleaning it all off and repeating once more. I do not expect a miracle and am convinced that it will take at least a month. We will see and I will keep you posted.

Yesterday was a good drying day and all the laundry was done and line dried, ironed and put away. Lovely, it seems so much easier to get it all done on the one day.

I had to make myself eat a slice of toast at 9:30 so that I could take my meds. 
I did quite a bit of walking during the morning, not just back and forth from washing machine to whirlygig.
After Ben had his walk and the washing was all out I got the bed made and didn't feel like doing anything constructive.
So I opted for a solo walk, I had planned on going as far as the turn to the library but met up with a friend walking her dogs. Of course I joined up with her and around halfway through the village she turned left and I turned right and popped in to see Jess and Ivy. Ivy is walking now and played happily with her toys. A cuppa, a chat and a tour of the garden later I left for home with an invitation to Ivy's first birthday party.

After all the walking I decided that a little lunch was needed. A roll was out of the freezer and in to defrost and a little bacon on to griddle, very tasty and it hit the spot without making me feel stuffed.
The SO had 2 filled to overflowing and dripping with brown sauce.

We had a rice salad for dinner with a selection of  salady things from the fridge and a drizzle of the flavoured vinegar from the food festival. Lovely.



My loud salad dinner, not the whole bowl, that was for two.

I love beetroot and with all the green edamame beans and peas decided that a loud salad was the way to go. There are some red jalapeno peppers in there for the bite of heat and green and black olives.

I did polish off a little dish of cultivated and wild strawberries from the garden with just a spoonful of low fat greek yogurt, no sugar the berries are very sweet.
The SO had more chocolate, his diet is a little different to mine.

I have just about caught up with The Loch on TV. I am certain that teenagers in a village with a serial killer on the loose would not behave as some of the characters are. I am not sure whether I will watch it all. I need to believe that it could happen to watch this type of fiction and some of these characters are becoming slightly bizarre.

I have watched the first 2 seasons of Hinterland and am eagerly waiting for season 3 to be free on Netflix. I have no intention of paying for it.

That is about the sum of my telly watching, I have caught a few Counting Cars episodes though. I watch Doctor Who but for how much longer...I am looking forward to the new version.

The sleeves are finished and I want to get the back cast on ready for knit and natter. I like to knit the fronts first but can not cope with the shaping and nattering.

That's me up to date, so I will see you tomorrow.


                          TTFN                                         Pam

PS. How long before we have another general election then?


20 comments:

  1. I'm my nails own worst enemy! I don't like long nails on myself so keep them short however I never wear rubber gloves. I garden, wash up, scrub, clean, etc with bare hands and my hands and nails suffer. Can't abide the feeling of hand cream either. I take lots of care on my feet though strangely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My toe nails have to be trimmed every week, they grow lie weeds and are very strong. I use whatever hand cream that I have to keep the skin in order.

      Delete
  2. Have you watched the last season of Broadchurch? It starts tomorrow on BBCA and I'm not sure about it. The first season was so depressing. And the American version (with David T) was just as bad.
    I'm going to have to have a Whoathon to watch this season.
    I love beets. I have some cooked and shelf stable ones in the cupboard. I think I'll make Harvard beets and share them with my mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the first season and started the second then just lost interest in it. I may have another try at some point.

      Delete
  3. Ooooh that salad looks good.
    Watching The Loch but not really enjoying it very much. I was hoping it would have settled down a bit but it is still just jumping from one thing to another without much flow.
    I'll give it one more episode and see-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am halfway through the 3rd episode and still cannot get into it. I may carry on if we get a spell of wet weather to keep me inside.

      Delete
  4. Your salad looks lovely, and very virtuous, I must try it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind the virtue, it was very tasty.

      Delete
  5. I keep using my nails as tools, when I should be using scissors, plus gardening without gloves. So I'm in the same place as you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My nails used to be really strong but now they are just so brittle.

      Delete
  6. I usually have gel nails done but am giving them a rest for a few weeks, so mine look pretty manky. You had me drooling at the SO dripping sandwiches, I really like homemade beef dripping but am not supposed to eat it but would so love a slice of fresh baked bread with it on. We caught up with The Loch on itv hub, must say we're not to impressed yet but will watch another episode before deciding. I find a lot of series so depressing lately and it always amuses me they all have one character who the camera pans in on who is staring wide eyed into nowhere. We started watching Peaky Blinders on Netflix but the f bomb is dropped a lot which I don't like and the violence is a bit gratuitous but if you don't mind that I imagine people enjoy it. A good wholesome watch on Netflix that I thoroughly enjoyed and am waiting for the next series is Heartland. It's a Canadian production, yet again in most scenes the camera pans in to the main character who is staring off into space. I've thoroughly enjoyed Pretty Little liars too the show finishes this week with the main villain exposed at last. It's only taken 7 series lol. I know you stopped watching Once upon a time Pam and the ending was a bit of a let down but I really enjoyed the nonsense of it lol. I was looking earlier for something to grab me and saw on recently added a series called Yarn. It's about artists finding their expression in yarn, apparently it's been storming. Have a good afternoon and enjoy your knit and natter. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. I understand your frustration about your nails, I had a similar problem a few years ago and no amount of top applications bettered the problem. I'm convinced that once I improved my diet, in time the nails got stronger and in far better shape. I eat a lot of veggies and a salad along with my normal supper every day. Works for me and greetings from Canada!!! Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If a good diet improved my mails they would be like Eagles talons, I read once that eating a square of jelly daily would improve them but it was far too sweet for me.

      Delete
  8. I noticed that Lucy from Attic24 has been concentrating on improving her nails. Her post of 12th June shows what her progress is. Good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I follow Lucy and had read the post, possibly that has encouraged me to have a go.

      Delete
  9. You might like to try some horsetail tea to strengthen your nails. Several of my apprentices are using it this year and have reported great improvement. The silica in the horsetail helps with the strengthening. Put a handful in a saucepan and cover with water, bring to the boil for 20mins then strain and drink. Do this three times a day for a week and see how they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no horsetail in my garden but I know of some growing wild. I will try this, many thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  10. I am still watching The Loch but really don't know why, I can't get into it at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to see if I can watch the remainder of episode 3 and then make my mind up.

      Delete
  11. We too have been watching the Loch - and sadly cannot feel for any of the characters so far. We are sticking with it though because in many parts it is unintentionally hilarious... Vicky from Brum

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.