Followers

Wednesday 20 September 2017

Hips and Haws and other good things.

I had to do quite a bit of driving yesterday, I did get the dogs walked first though.
On my return, after a cuppa of course, I went "hunter gathering", well just gathering really.
Inspired by Jess I collected lots of Haws and then I spotted some rose hips. Suffering a few minor scratches I added those to my basket.
As I turned to go I spotted a few apples in amongst the turning leaves of a little thicket, another scratch or 2 but goal attained and 4 decent apples went in with the booty.
To round it all off I picked some late blackberries and then turned for home.

Once back I picked over my haul, put the hips into the processor and blitzed them. chopped the apples up, along with a few that were left from the last jamming session, washed the haws and berries and got them in the pot with enough water to cover. A good boil and simmer with a couple of attacks with the potato masher and into the jelly bag to drip overnight.
As I tap away the resulting juice is boiling away with some sugar and will soon reach setting point.
I will let you know how it is tomorrow, must dash now.

                     TTFN                                                  Pam

4 comments:

  1. All sounds wonderful, I do miss the blackberries that were in abundance at our previous home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a summer cottage on a lake and on the road to the cottage were tons of blackberry bushes. My mom would send my brother and I off with a bucket to go and pick the berries (the best time would be the end of August) and we'd come back with overflowing buckets. Good times then.
    Hope your weather has improved. You had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blackberry bushes round here have been terrible this year. I don't 'do' blackberries myself but I will bake a pie for Andy if he wants one. Not even enough for that this year.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments so take the plunge and join the conversation.